When it comes to curbing your calories, not all sushi are created equal. Some of the sushi ingredients can drive up the calorie count. Here are the top culprits to watch out.
* Tempura: This is a style of cooking that involves battering and deep-frying food. Tempura-style vegetables, seafood, and meat are high in unhealthy fats and overall calories, so it’s best to avoid them.
* Teriyaki and other sweetened sauces: Teriyaki and other sweet sauces used in sushi restaurants can be high in added sugar, which isn’t good for overall health.
* Cream cheese, mayo, and other high calorie additions: These ingredients can add a lot of calories and fat to your sushi roll.
* Large amounts of rice: Sushi rolls can be high in carbs due to the rice. Opt for sushi rolls with less rice or brown rice instead.
* Sugary desserts: Desserts like mochi ice cream or sweetened fruit can add a lot of sugar to your meal.
High sodium sauces: Soy sauce is high in sodium, so use it sparingly.